The Nixon Years, 1969-1974
Sources from The National Archives, UK
Review top level AngloÂ American discussions and briefing papers, and research social conditions, domestic reforms, trade, culture and the environment.
These files allow scholars and researchers the opportunity to assess, from a British, European and Commonwealth perspective, Nixonâs handling of numerous Cold War crises, his administrationâs notable achievements, as well as his increasingly controversial activities and unorthodox use of executive powers culminating in Watergate and resignation.
FCO and British Embassy analyses of US policy decisions, White House staff appointments and UN discussions, views on Europe, the deployment of F111 aircraft on US airbases in the UK and Nixonâs battles over funding from Congress, visits to the US by both Wilson and Heath, files on the internal situation in the US and domestic reform are core subjects of this digital collection. There are also detailed assessments of all the changes brought about by the Presidential Elections of 1972.
The Nixon Years, 1969-1974, is part of Archives Direct, a cross-searchable multi-product platform, sourced from The National Archives, UK.
- The Vietnam War and Paris Peace Talks
- China - Nixon's 1972 visit ended 25 years of isolation between the US and the People's Republic of China and resulted in the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries in 1979
- The Middle East â massive aid for Israel, reorientation of US policy, developing relations with moderate Arab regimes culminating in Egyptian President Anwar Sadatâs expulsion of Soviet advisors in 1972 and Nixonâs Middle East tour of 1974
- The regularization of relations with the Soviet Union, including Annual Summits
- Anti-Ballistic Missile and Strategic Arms Limitation Treaties
- The return of Okinawa to Japanese sovereignty
- Relations with specific countries in Latin America
- The creation of the Environmental Protection Agency
- The extension of the Voting Rights Act and liberal action on Civil Rights
- The National Archives, UK
- Complete FCO 7 and FCO 82 files from The National Archives, UK, for the entire period of the Nixon administration, 1969-1974.
- Civil rights
- US-Chinese relations
- The Middle East
- Cold War treaties
- The war on cancer
- 'New Federalism'
- British diplomats
- Social conditions
- Domestic reforms
- Available within the cross-searchable Archives Direct platform
- Full-text searchable
- Map Gallery
- Pre-populated searches for key people, places and topics