(3) American Indian Histories and Cultures
Added January 2013
Documents relating to American Indian history, within the Edward E. Ayer Collection at the Newberry Library in Chicago. Detailed lists of individual items within these collections are available via the hyperlinks below.
Ayer Photographs: Elmo Scott Watson Collection
133 photographs. Significant groups within this collection include Laton A. Huffman portraits of Cheyenne, Crow, and Sioux Indians; D. F. Barry photographs of Hunkpapa and Blackfeet Sioux; and publicity photographs of Blackfeet Indians, mainly issued in the 1920s and 1930s by Underwood & Underwood.
Ayer Modern MS Greenwood
The papers of Thomas J. Greenwood, Housing Chairman of the American Indian Chicago Conference, 1961. Mostly printed material consisting of correspondence, articles and pamphlets that relate to the conference.
Ayer Modern MS Montezuma
Correspondence relating to Indian rights activist and physician Carlos Montezuma.
Ayer Modern MS Ballenger
Correspondence and writings of author, educator and historian Thomas Lee Ballenger. Photographs, legal papers, and documents of the Cherokee Indians, their territory, and prominent individuals who contributed to Oklahoma’s history.
A few items from the general manuscript collection
American Indian Newspapers
- The Indian (South Dakota, 1969-1970)
- Crazy Horse News (South Dakota, 1973)
- The Ho-Chunk (Wisconsin, 1984)
- Hopi-Tutu-veh-ni (1986)
- I'm Nameless (South Dakota, 1966)
- The Oglala War Cry (South Dakota, 1970-1971)
- Shannon County News (South Dakota, 1970-1971)
- We invite anyone who has information on the copyright-holders of items within these collections to contact us:
Adam Matthew Digital Ltd