A broad selection of missionary collections, representing a global range of Christian missions, churches and denominations.
These primary sources are a hugely important resource for the study of missionary work, educational work, medical work, evangelism, political conflict, and the emergence of indigenous churches. The collections are truly global in scope, with Africa, East and South Asia, Australasia and the Pacific, and the Americas all well-represented. The sources will be of interest to scholars in a range of fields, from missiology to colonial history and anthropology.
- Papers of Reverend George Brown (1835-1917), Methodist missionary and ethnographer, whose personal papers are an important and fascinating record of Polynesian and Oceanic indigenous cultures
- Records of female missionaries and womenâ€™s missionary organisations. Womenâ€™s missionary activity is an important area of study; missionary work being an early area of empowerment for women, as the call of religion gave women the right to travel to the furthest reaches of the known world â€“ often unchaperoned.
- Papers and records of a variety of missionary organisations, including:
- Mission of the United Presbyterian Church
- Sudan United Mission
- Church of Scotland Mission
- Regions Beyond Missionary Union
- United Presbyterian Church Mission
What collection Archives are included in this module?
- African Missions: Papers of the Missions of the United Presbyterian Church from the National Library of Scotland
- African Missions, Education and the Road to Independence: The SUM in Nigeria, The Cameroons, Chad, Sudan, and Other African Territories
- Church of Scotland Missionary Archive: From the National Library of Scotland
- Congo Mission Archives: The Papers of Bishop Risdale (1916-2000), Missionary to the Eastern Congo, from the Cambridge Centre for Christianity Worldwide
- Korean Mission Records: Papers of the Korean Mission, 1889-1987, from the University of Birmingham Library
- Missionary Pamphlets: The Alexander Duff Collection of Missionary Pamphlets
- Pacific Island Culture and Society: The Papers of the Reverend George Brown (1835-1917), Methodist Missionary, from the State Library of New South Wales
- Regions Beyond Missionary Union Archive: Papers of the RBMU concerning the Congo, India, Nepal and Peru from the Centre for the Study of World Christianity, New College, University of Edinburgh
- Scottish Missionary & Philanthropic Register, 1821-1842: From the Centre for the Study of World Christianity, New College, University of Edinburgh
- Women Missionaries: From the National Library of Scotland
- Women's Missionary Archives: Sources from the Centre for the Study of World Christianity, University of Edinburgh
- Scottish Missionary Archives
- 19th and 20th centuries
- Organisational records
- Personal papers
- Journals, travel writing and diaries