Confidential Print: Middle East, 1839-1969
Sources from The National Archives, UK
Complete volumes of all British Colonial Office and Foreign Office Confidential Print for the Middle East.
From the Egyptian reforms of Muhammad Ali Pasha, the Middle East Conference of 1921, the Mandates of Palestine and Mesopotamia and the Suez Crisis in 1956, to the partition of Palestine, post- Suez Western foreign policy and the Arab-Israeli conflict these government documents inform the volatile situation in the region today.
Taking in the countries of the Arabian Peninsula, the Levant, Iraq, Turkey and many of the former Ottoman lands in Europe, Iran, Afghanistan, Egypt and Sudan, we include materials from the various committees on Mesopotamia and Palestine, on Transjordan and the military base at Aden, on Syria and the Lebanon, and on the Passfield Report of 1930 and the early phases of the Arab League after 1945.
Anyone working on the Modern Middle East will find the Confidential Print: Middle East collection extraordinarily useful. This collection is an absolutely invaluable resource for both researchers and teachers.
Professor Michael Gasper, Yale University
Confidential Print: Middle East, 1839-1969 is part of Archives Direct, a cross-searchable multi-product platform, sourced from The National Archives, UK.
- Axis influence in Afghanistan
- The importance of the Suez Canal to British imperial policy
- The Mahdist Wars in Sudan
- Egyptian politics during the Second World War
- The ambitions of Atatürk’s Turkey
- Views of Mossadeq’s government in Iran after the oil nationalisations
- European diplomatic manoeuvrings during the First Balkan War
- The National Archives, UK
- Descriptions of leading personalities
- Political summaries
- Economic analyses
- Ahmed Abu-Zayed, Qatar Foundation
- Betty Anderson, Boston University
- Houchang Chehabi, Boston University
- Michael Gasper, Yale University
- The 19th century Egyptian reforms of Muhammad Ali Pasha
- The Middle East Conference of 1921
- Mandates for Palestine and Mesopotamia
- The Suez Crisis, 1956
- The Partition of Palestine
- Post-Suez Western foreign policy
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Available within the cross-searchable Archives Direct platform
- Full-text searchable
- Map Gallery
- Pre-populated searches for key people, places and topics