American Indian Histories and Cultures
Back to top ^
Sources From The Edward E. Ayer Collection At The Newberry Library, Chicago
VIEW AMERICAN INDIAN HISTORIES AND CULTURES
CHOICE MAGAZINE 'OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC TITLE' JANUARY 2014
"After a few days of experimenting with this site all I can say is WOW! Scholars from around the globe will benefit greatly from this digitization project"
H.G. Barnard Chair of Western American History
University of Tulsa
Spanning four centuries and covering North and Central America, American Indian Histories and Cultures presents unique materials from one of the finest archival collections on American Indian history and culture available.
From early contacts between European settlers and American Indians and the subsequent political, social and cultural effects of those encounters on American Indian life, these materials tell both the historical and the personal stories of the colonization of the Americas. Continuing through to the modern era, and told against the backdrop of the 19th century expansion into the ‘Western Frontier’ right through to the civil rights movement of the mid-twentieth century, American Indian Histories and Cultures highlights both the myths and realities of the ‘Wild West’ and American Indian cultural identity.
The material includes:
- Manuscripts (treaties, speeches, petitions, diaries, travel journals, ledger books)
- Artwork (illustrations, sketches, watercolours, oil paintings, American Indian art)
- American Indian Newspapers covering the 1960s to 1990s
- Rare Printed Books
This rich and diverse material allows for an exploration of the following themes:
- American Indians and the European Powers
- American Indians and the US Government
- Indigenous Peoples of Mexico
- Military Encounters: Conflicts, Rebellions and Alliances
- Observation, Representation and Cultural Encounters
- Missionaries and Education
- Civil Rights Movement
American Indian Histories and Cultures will complement and build upon the success of The American West. Both resources are cross-searchable.